Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Fun with Becky


The books authored by Piece o' Cake quilters Becky Goldsmith and Linda Jenkins have always been a great source of inspiration for me, probably sewing the seeds to encourage me to take on the Sue Ross BOM.

Last year when I found out that Becky Goldsmith was coming to Australia I knew I had to go, along with Mum who needed no encouragement at all!

What a great two days we had in Sydney, hosted by Kathy from Material Obsession, the first day was all about needle turn appliqué and second was about piecing those great backgrounds that appear in the Piece o' Cake quilts.

My efforts from the needle turn appliqué day are very modest, but I enjoyed the variety of techniques I learnt.

The middle point is a bit wobbly... but I particularly liked the needle turn method using the running stitch...mainly because I am quicker at this then the traditional needle turn method with the "invisible" stitch! Any ideas what I should do with this little block? Bag? Mug rug?

What was great was, I was able to use these new skills on my Pot of Flowers block.


Doing this class was just the incentive I needed to start and finish this block...so motivated I even appliquéd both sides of the ric rac.


Crazy I know....in short if you ever get the opportunity to take a class with Becky, grab it with both hands. She is very professional and is generous at sharing her techniques and her creative approach to her projects.

Failing doing a class with Becky, pop over to the Piece o' Cake web site and check out these two videos: Applique with Attitude, and Points with Attitude, and when you are finished add Becky's blog to your favourites!

What sewing have you got happening this weekend? Me...I get to spend 8 hours on an airplane, to Melbourne on Saturday, back home on Sunday...so I guess I will get a lot of hand sewing done...maybe some needle turn applique!

1 comment:

  1. Hi thanks for your comment regarding my patchwork,
    I think you are truly an avid quilter!!
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete